Unable to test parallel aggregate/joins in Postgres beta 2

From: "Madusudanan(dot)B(dot)N" <b(dot)n(dot)madusudanan(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Unable to test parallel aggregate/joins in Postgres beta 2
Date: 2016-07-14 13:16:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I installed postgres beta 2 using the RPM provided here for Cent OS.

Based on this article I was trying to set *max_parallel_degree*, but
postgres complained that there was no such config variable. But I was able
to set *max_parallel_workers_per_gather* and test things for parallel
sequential scan

I have a hunch that I have installed a previous beta version i.e beta 1,
but *Select version()* reported that I was using 9.6beta2 only.

What have I done wrong ?

1) The RPM file that I downloaded has 9.6 beta 1. Name is mentioned as
pgdg-redhat96-9.6-1.noarch.rpm.

2) Should beta2 built only from source ? If the RPM is beta 1 why is the
server version reporting as beta2 ?

3) Is there any kind of toggle to enable parallel aggregate/join feature ?

--
Regards,
Madusudanan.B.N <http://madusudanan.com>