Re: Possibility to disable `ALTER SYSTEM`

From: Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Isaac Morland <isaac(dot)morland(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Possibility to disable `ALTER SYSTEM`
Date: 2023-09-09 06:37:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Magnus,

On Fri, 8 Sept 2023 at 23:43, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:

> +1. And to make that happen, the appropriate thing is to identify
> *why* they are using superuser today, and focus efforts on finding
> ways for them to do that without being superuser.

As I am explaining in the other post (containing a very basic proof of
concept patch), it is not about restricting superuser. It is primarily a
usability and configuration matter of a running instance, which helps
control an entire cluster like in the case of Kubernetes (where, in order
to provide self-healing and high availability we are forced to go beyond
the single instance and think in terms of primary with one or more standbys
or at least continuous backup in place).

Thanks,
Gabriele
--
Gabriele Bartolini