Re: libpq URL syntax vs SQLAlchemy

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: libpq URL syntax vs SQLAlchemy
Date: 2012-05-12 09:32:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 9 May 2012 19:17, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:

> I have been reviewing how our new libpq URL syntax compares against
> existing implementations of URL syntaxes in other drivers or
> higher-level access libraries.  In the case of SQLAlchemy, there is an
> incompatibility regarding how Unix-domain sockets are specified.

Is there an open standard that already defines this? If there is an
existing standard we should follow it, so we can quote "we now follow
standard X".

If there isn't one, can we create one? Can we propose an RFC that
works for many data stores?

If somebody can define that, I can push that through the relevant
processes. Not because I wish PostgreSQL syntax to be badged as a
standard, but because the world clearly needs a useful, open standard
here.