Re: WALWriter active during recovery

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: didier <did447(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WALWriter active during recovery
Date: 2014-12-17 12:44:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 17 December 2014 at 11:27, didier <did447(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> If there's a fsync in progress WALReceiver will:
> 1- slow the fsync because its writes to the same file are grabbed by the fsync
> 2- stall until the end of fsync.

PostgreSQL already fsyncs files while they are being written to. Are
you saying we should stop doing that?

It would be possible to synchronize processes so that we don't write
to a file while it is being fsynced.

fsyncs are also made once the whole 16MB has been written, so in those
cases there is no simultaneous action.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/