Re: Avoiding shutdown checkpoint at failover

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Avoiding shutdown checkpoint at failover
Date: 2012-01-28 13:57:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 5:27 AM, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> One thing I would like to ask is that why you think walreceiver is more
> appropriate for writing XLOG_END_OF_RECOVERY record than startup
> process. I was thinking the opposite, because if we do so, we might be
> able to skip the end-of-recovery checkpoint even in file-based log-shipping
> case.

Right now, WALReceiver has one code path/use case.

Startup has so many, its much harder to know whether we'll screw up one of them.

If we can add it in either place then I choose the simplest, most
relevant place. If the code is the same, we can move it around later.

Let me write the code and then we can think some more.