Re: unite recovery.conf and postgresql.conf

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: unite recovery.conf and postgresql.conf
Date: 2011-09-13 16:10:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 2:51 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> On tis, 2011-09-13 at 14:46 +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
>> Are you still thinking the backward-compatibility (i.e., the
>> capability to specify recovery parameters in recovery.conf) is
>> required?
>
> I think parameters related to a particular recovery, e.g.,
> recovery_target_time, fit better into a recovery.conf that is renamed
> after the recovery is complete.  That was the original idea, after all.
>
> Everything that is a permanent setting across multiple recovery
> attempts, and anything related to replication, better fits elsewhere.

I've just been thinking that a better way would be to make
recovery.conf an extension of postgresql.conf when we are in archive
recovery.

So treat postgresql.conf as if it has an automatic "include
recovery.conf" in it. The file format is the same.

That way we don't need to change existing behaviour, so any software
that relies upon this will still work, but we gain the additional
ability to reload values in recovery,conf (where appropriate).

We can change the .sample files to show parameters that make more
sense in one or the other file, rather than making it a hard
requirement for them to appear in specific files which will be a real
pain in the ass.

Internal changes would then be to move existing recovery.conf
parameters into guc.c and revise the manual accordingly.