Re: pg_receivexlog --status-interval add fsync feedback

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
Cc: furuyao(at)pm(dot)nttdata(dot)co(dot)jp, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Sawada Masahiko <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, teranishih(at)nttdata(dot)co(dot)jp
Subject: Re: pg_receivexlog --status-interval add fsync feedback
Date: 2014-10-22 13:47:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 22 October 2014 14:26, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com> wrote:

> We seem to be going in circles. You suggested having two options,
> --feedback, and --fsync, which is almost exactly what Furuya posted
> originally. I objected to that, because I think that user interface is too
> complicated. Instead, I suggested having just a single option called
> --synchronous, or even better, have no option at all and have the server
> tell the client if it's participating in synchronous replication, and have
> pg_receivexlog automatically fsync when it is, and not otherwise [1]. That
> way you don't need to expose any new options to the user. What did you think
> of that idea?

Sorry, if we're going in circles.

Yes, I like the idea.

The master setting of synchronous_standby_names defines which
standbys/rep clients will have their feedback used to release waiting
COMMITs. That uses application_name, which is set at the replication
client connection. (That has a default value, but lets assume the user
sets this). So when a replication client connects, the WALSender knows
its priority, as defined in sync_standby_names.

I guess we can have WALSender send a protocol message to the client
every time the sync priority changes (as a result of a changed value
of sync_standby_names). Which is the function SyncRepInitConfig()

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/