Re: TABLESAMPLE patch

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>
Subject: Re: TABLESAMPLE patch
Date: 2015-04-09 08:52:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 9 April 2015 at 04:12, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Also, I am wondering if the sampling logic based on block analysis is
> actually correct, for example for now this fails and I think that we
> should support it:
> =# with query_select as (select generate_series(1, 10) as a) select
> query_select.a from query_select tablesample system (100.0/11)
> REPEATABLE (9999);
> ERROR: 42P01: relation "query_select" does not exist
>
> How does the SQL spec define exactly TABLESAMPLE? Shouldn't we get a
> sample from a result set?
> Thoughts?

Good catch. The above query doesn't make any sense.

TABLESAMPLE SYSTEM implies system-defined sampling mechanism, which is
block level sampling. So any block level sampling method should be
barred from operating on a result set in this way... i.e. should
generate an "ERROR inappropriate sampling method specified"

TABLESAMPLE BERNOULLI could work in this case, or any other non-block
based sampling mechanism. Whether it does work yet is another matter.

This query should be part of the test suite and should generate a
useful message or work correctly.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, RemoteDBA, Training & Services