Re: Improve automatic analyze messages for inheritance trees

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Improve automatic analyze messages for inheritance trees
Date: 2014-10-16 02:45:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 6 October 2014 11:07, Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
> I noticed that analyze messages shown by autovacuum don't discriminate
> between non-inherited cases and inherited cases, as shown in the below
> example:
>
> LOG: automatic analyze of table "postgres.public.pt" system usage: CPU
> 0.00s/0.01u sec elapsed 0.06 sec
> LOG: automatic analyze of table "postgres.public.pt" system usage: CPU
> 0.00s/0.02u sec elapsed 0.11 sec
>
> (The first one is for table "postgres.public.pt" and the second one is
> for table inheritance tree "postgres.public.pt".)
>
> So, I'd like to propose improving the messages for inherited cases, in
> order to easily distinguish such cases from non-inherited cases. Please
> find attached a patch. I'll add this to the upcoming CF.

Thanks for the suggestion. It seems like a useful addition.

Existing log analysis may wish to see the "automatic analyze of table"
on each row.
So it would be good to keep
automatic analyze of table \"%s.%s.%s\"

Can we add some words after this to indicate inheritance? (I have no
suggestions at present)
e.g.
automatic analyze of table \"%s.%s.%s\" (new words go here)

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/