Re: Reduce pinning in btree indexes

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Reduce pinning in btree indexes
Date: 2015-03-14 16:07:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 13 March 2015 at 15:41, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com> wrote:

> The feedback was generally fairly positive except for the fact that
> snapshot "age" (for purposes of being too old) was measured in
> transaction IDs assigned. There seemed to be a pretty universal
> feeling that this needed to be changed to a time-based setting.

-1 for a time based setting.

After years of consideration, bloat is now controllable by altering
the size of the undo tablespace.

I think PostgreSQL needs something size-based also. It would need some
estimation to get it to work like that, true, but it is actually the
size of the bloat we care about, not the time. So we should be
thinking in terms of limits that we actually care about.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, RemoteDBA, Training & Services