Re: Statistics about Streaming Replication deployments in production

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Samba <saasira(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Statistics about Streaming Replication deployments in production
Date: 2011-07-31 17:15:36
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Samba <saasira(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I think one year is sufficient time for any product/feature to be thoroughly
> tested for all its strengths and weaknesses; so would it be too much to ask
> the vast postgres customer base about their experiences with streaming
> replication, the good, the bad; and perhaps the best and the ugly too? It
> would be great if customers can give their identity (employer info) but not
> necessary though.

Maybe its not clear in the documentation but the streaming replication
feature isn't just one year old.

The core parts of it are actually 7 years old, and they are definitely
battle tested. The slightly newer parts changed the transport logic to
stream rather than use file-by-file.

The features relevant here are Point in Time Recovery (8.0), Warm
Standby (8.2), pg_standby (8.3), Bgwriter during recovery (8.4)