Re: 9.2 final

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Joshua Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 9.2 final
Date: 2012-06-12 08:38:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 11 June 2012 18:02, Joshua Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:

> Hmmm.  I was assuming September, given how late the beta came out, and that nobody has previously talked seriously about a June release.  I'll also point out that while there's a beta2 tarball, there was no announcement and no packages for it.
>
> If we decide to do June, then PR will be minimal because I was assuming I had another 7 weeks to prepare it.  Not that that should be the deciding factor (it would be great to get out an early release and get it out of the way) but it should be taken into consideration.

Not really sure why we're discussing it.

We've always had a long beta cycle and this seems to cut it very short
at both ends.

If we're going to have a fixed cutoff date for patches then having a
variable release date seems weird, unless it is to elongate it to fix
bugs.

Let me put it this way: is there a benefit to changing the plan?
Anyone desperate for the new features is already using them, and we're
relying upon that to throw up bugs during beta.