Re: Pruning the TODO list

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Pruning the TODO list
Date: 2012-06-22 13:45:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 22 June 2012 14:15, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Rather, we all like to believe
> that our own ideas are awesome.  This is frequently true, but not so
> frequently as we like to believe.

Hmm, for me, awesome has nothing to do with it. I strive to produce
useful features that address real problems in the simplest way. I
think most of my proposals are fairly obvious to database users. If I
find a solution, I push it, but not because I found it, or I think its
awesome.

The idea that I'm scratching my own itches is mostly wrong. For me,
this is about working on the features that Postgres needs and then
doing them, with a sense of urgency that seems to be slightly ahead of
the curve.

It's not just reviewers that work hard on tasks they may not be
interested in yet believe are for the common good.