Re: Prevent restored WAL files from being archived again Re: Unnecessary WAL archiving after failover

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Prevent restored WAL files from being archived again Re: Unnecessary WAL archiving after failover
Date: 2012-08-08 23:08:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 29 July 2012 16:01, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Attached patch changes the startup process so that it creates .done file
> whenever WAL file is successfully restored, whether archive mode is
> enabled or not. The restored WAL files will not be archived again because
> of .done file.

The proposed patch works, for archiving only, but I don't like the
code. It's a partial refactoring of existing code.

I prefer to go for a full re-factoring version for HEAD, and a zero
refactoring version for 9.2 since we're deep into beta.

I've committed the simplified version for 9.2, as well as adding
support for streaming which you seem to have missed out.

Will look at the refactored version tomorrow.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/