Re: basic pgbench runs with various performance-related patches

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: basic pgbench runs with various performance-related patches
Date: 2012-01-24 00:52:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 3:49 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>> The other patches have clearer and specific roles without heuristics
>> (mostly), so are at least viable for 9.2, though still requiring
>> agreement.
>
> I think we must also drop removebufmgrfreelist-v1 from consideration,

I think you misidentify the patch. Earlier you said it that
"buffreelistlock-reduction-v1 crapped
out" and I already said that the assumption in the code clearly
doesn't hold, implying the patch was dropped.

The removebufmgrfreelist and its alternate patch is still valid, with
applicability to special cases.

I've written another patch to assist with testing/assessment of the
problems, attached.

Attachment Content-Type Size
freelist_wait_stats.v2.patch text/x-patch 5.4 KB