Re: JSON for PG 9.2

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Joey Adams <joeyadams3(dot)14159(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: JSON for PG 9.2
Date: 2011-12-17 11:53:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 2:26 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> In the spirit of Simon's suggestion that we JFDI, I cooked up a patch
> today that JFDI.  See attached.

Which looks very good.

Comments
* Comment for IDENTIFICATION of json.c says contrib/json/json.c
* json.c contains a duplicate of a line from header file "extern Datum
json_in(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS);"

And additionally, a quote from our fine manual...

"Caution: Some XML-related functions may not work at all on non-ASCII
data when the server encoding is not UTF-8. This is known to be an
issue for xpath() in particular." .... so I think this approach works
for JSON too.

Adding tests and docs is a must, nothing else is right now. Once we
have this, others can add the bells and whistles, possibly in 9.2