Re: Removing freelist (was Re: Should I implement DROP INDEX CONCURRENTLY?)

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Daniel Farina <daniel(at)heroku(dot)com>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Removing freelist (was Re: Should I implement DROP INDEX CONCURRENTLY?)
Date: 2012-01-23 13:16:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> It's pretty trivial to prove that there is a very serious problem with
> BufFreelistLock.  I'll admit I can't prove what the right fix is just
> yet, and certainly measurement is warranted.

I agree there is a problem with BufFreelistLock (so please share your
results with Heikki, who seems not to).

As a result, I've published patches which reduce contention on that
lock in various ways, all of which seem valid to me.

There are lots of things we could have done for 9.2 but didn't, yet we
have some things that did get done on the table right now so it would
be useful to push those through immediately or at least defer
discussion on other things until we get back around to this.