Re: Not HOT enough

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Not HOT enough
Date: 2011-11-23 19:33:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 6:15 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

>> The real question is do we favour HOT cleanup on those small 8 tables,
>> or do we favour HOT cleanup of every other table?
>
> No, the real question is why not think a little harder and see if we can
> come up with a solution that doesn't involve making some cases worse to
> make others better.

Slightly modified patch attached.

When we access a shared relation and the page is prunable we re-derive
the cutoff value using GetOldestXmin.

That code path is rarely taken. In particular, pg_shdepend is only
accessed during object creation/alter/drop, so this isn't a path we
can't spare a small amount little extra on, just like the trade-off
we've taken to make locking faster for DML while making DDL a little
slower.

If this is still unacceptable, then I'll have to look at reducing
impact on pg_shdepend from temp tables - which is still a plan.

Attachment Content-Type Size
fix_getsnapshotdata.v3.patch application/octet-stream 3.6 KB