Re: [WIP] Performance Improvement by reducing WAL for Update Operation

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [WIP] Performance Improvement by reducing WAL for Update Operation
Date: 2012-08-09 11:59:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 9 August 2012 12:17, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com> wrote:

> This optimization is to reduce the amount of WAL and definitely adding
> anything extra will have some impact.

Of course. The question is "How much impact?". Each tweak has
progressively less and less gain. This isn't a binary choice.

Squeezing the last ounce of performance at the expense of all other
concerns is not a sensible goal, IMHO, nor do we attempt that
elsewhere.

Given we're making no attempt to remove full page writes, which is
clearly the biggest source of WAL volume currently, micro optimisation
of other factors seems unwarranted at this stage.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/