Re: Temporary tables under hot standby

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com, noah(at)leadboat(dot)com, nicolas(dot)barbier(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Temporary tables under hot standby
Date: 2012-04-26 12:52:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Kevin Grittner

>> I find it a rather elegant and well-thought-out kludge.
>
> Global temporary tables as a feature are far more than a kludge; I
> assume you're talking about that feature as a solution for the "no
> temporary tables on a hot standby" problem?  Even there I would
> consider GTT as more than a kludge.  They have been part of the SQL
> standard since at least the SQL-93 version, and have some very clean,
> clear uses.

Just to be clear, I haven't described GTTs as a kludge.

Again I say: if you want GTTs, build them. But don't build them
because they solve other problems as well, because they don't, and the
topic title of this thread is regrettably misnamed when we conflate
GTTs with $TOPIC. If Noah wishes to solve $TOPIC rather than build
GTTs then a different route is required.