Re: Enabling Checksums

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Enabling Checksums
Date: 2012-12-17 19:14:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 14 December 2012 20:15, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On 12/14/12 3:00 PM, Jeff Davis wrote:
>>
>> After some thought, I don't see much value in introducing multiple
>> instances of corruption at a time. I would think that the smallest unit
>> of corruption would be the hardest to detect, so by introducing many of
>> them in one pass makes it easier to detect.
>

> That seems reasonable. It would eliminate a lot of issues with reproducing
> a fault too. I can just print the impacted block number presuming it will
> show up in a log, and make it possible to override picking one at random
> with a command line input.

Discussing this makes me realise that we need a more useful response
than just "your data is corrupt", so user can respond "yes, I know,
I'm trying to save whats left".

We'll need a way of expressing some form of corruption tolerance.
zero_damaged_pages is just insane, much better if we set
corruption_tolerance = N to allow us to skip N corrupt pages before
failing, with -1 meaning keep skipping for ever. Settable by superuser
only.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/