Re: patch: improve SLRU replacement algorithm

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: patch: improve SLRU replacement algorithm
Date: 2012-04-05 09:34:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 1:23 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I don't think we're micro-optimizing, either.  I don't consider
> avoiding a 10-second cessation of all database activity to be a
> micro-optimization even on a somewhat artificial benchmark.

Robert is not skewing the SLRU mechanism towards this case, he is
simply fixing something so gross that "bug" is the only word for it,
and that shows up clearly on this test. I'm happy that the fix
proposed has general utility without negative impact on other
workloads.

In general terms, I agree we shouldn't rely on pgbench as a general
workload, nor should we solely tune Postgres for throughput without
regard to response time. But that point is not relevant to this
specific issue.