Re: Not HOT enough

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Not HOT enough
Date: 2011-11-23 23:00:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 10:47 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 5:43 PM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> Computing two cutoffs is overkill for the rare event of pruning a
>> shared catalog page. I did think of that already and its not a good
>> solution. I'm tempted by the idea of getting rid of multiple databases
>> altogether. The hassle of supporting that feature far outweighs the
>> fairly low benefit.
>
> That seems a rather sudden U-turn.  The point of your proposal is to
> improve life for people using multiple databases in a single cluster.
> If that's not an important use case, why bother with any of this?

Where's the U-turn? I've not argued at any point that running multiple
databases was a great idea.

Offering multiple databases causes the problems I noted and have been
trying to solve.

If we didn't have databases we could probably chuck out tons of
complexity and code that no longer need to exist now we have
namespaces.