Re: Parallel query execution

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parallel query execution
Date: 2013-01-16 13:11:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 6:52 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 12:03 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

>>> Bruce, there are many, many patches on the queue. How will we ever get
>>> to beta testing if we begin open ended discussions on next release?
>>>
>>> If we can't finish what we've started for 9.3, why talk about 9.4?
>>>
>>> Yes, its a great topic for discussion, but there are better times.
>>
>> Like when? I don't remember a policy of not discussing things now.
>> Does anyone else remember this? Are you saying feature discussion is
>> only between commit-fests? Is this written down anywhere? I only
>> remember beta-time as a time not to discuss features.
>
> We kind of do - when in a CF we should do reviewing of existing
> patches, when outside a CF we should do discussions and work on new
> features. It's on http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/CommitFest. It
> doesn't specifically say do this and don't do htat, but it says focus
> on review and discussing things that will happen that far ahead is
> definitely not focusing on review.

Bruce is evidently under the impression that he's no longer under any
obligation to review or commit other people's patches, or participate
in the CommitFest process in any way. I believe that he has not
committed a significant patch written by someone else in several
years. If the committers on the core team aren't committed to the
process, it doesn't stand much chance of working.

The fact that I have been completely buried for the last six months is
perhaps not helping, either, but even at the very low level of
engagement I've been at recently, I've still done more reviews (a few)
than patch submissions (none). I view it as everyone's responsibility
to maintain a similar balance in their own work. And some people are,
but not enough, especially among the committers.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company