Re: Implement targetlist SRFs using ROWS FROM() (was Changed SRF in targetlist handling)

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Implement targetlist SRFs using ROWS FROM() (was Changed SRF in targetlist handling)
Date: 2017-01-17 17:05:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 2:13 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> That worked quite well. So we have a few questions, before I clean this
>> up:
>
>> - For now the node is named 'Srf' both internally and in explain - not
>> sure if we want to make that something longer/easier to understand for
>> others? Proposals? TargetFunctionScan? SetResult?
>
> "Srf" is ugly as can be, and unintelligible. SetResult might be OK.

The operation we're performing here, IIUC, is projection. SetResult
lacks a verb, although Set could be confused with one; someone might
think this is the node that sets a result, whatever that means.
Anyway, I suggest working Project in there somehow. If Project by
itself seems like it's too generic, perhaps ProjectSet or
ProjectSetResult would be suitable.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company