Re: .ready and .done files considered harmful

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>
Cc: Dipesh Pandit <dipesh(dot)pandit(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeevan Ladhe <jeevan(dot)ladhe(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Hannu Krosing <hannuk(at)google(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: .ready and .done files considered harmful
Date: 2021-09-24 16:28:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 7:26 PM Bossart, Nathan <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com> wrote:
> What do you think?

I think this is committable. I also went back and looked at your
previous proposal to do files in batches, and I think that's also
committable. After some reflection, I think I have a slight preference
for the batching approach.
It seems like it might lend itself to archiving multiple files in a
single invocation of the archive_command, and Alvaro just suggested it
again apparently not having realized that it had been previously
proposed by Andres, so I guess it has the further advantage of being
the thing that several committers intuitively feel like we ought to be
doing to solve this problem.

So what I am inclined to do is commit
v1-0001-Improve-performance-of-pgarch_readyXlog-with-many.patch.
However, v6-0001-Do-fewer-directory-scans-of-archive_status.patch has
perhaps evolved a bit more than the other one, so I thought I should
first ask whether any of those changes have influenced your thinking
about the batching approach and whether you want to make any updates
to that patch first. I don't really see that this is needed, but I
might be missing something.

Thanks,

--
Robert Haas