Re: Removal of deprecated views pg_user, pg_group, pg_shadow

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Removal of deprecated views pg_user, pg_group, pg_shadow
Date: 2017-02-14 04:01:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 5:38 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
> I really do not think the PG core project should be held hostage by an
> external and apparently not-really-maintained project. What if we
> introduce some other difference in PG10 that breaks pgAdmin3? Are we
> going to roll that change back? Are we sure that none exists already?

As a general rule, I don't agree that taking account of what will
break external projects constitutes being "held hostage". I think
that kind of hyperbole is unhelpful. How about we call it "trying not
to gratuitously break popular third-party tools"?

But in this case, I conceded the exact point that you are making here
later on in the exact same email to which you are replying, so I'm a
little mystified by the way you wrote this response.

> In short, my
> recollection is that we added them because it was easy to do at the time
> and we didn't have the foresight to realize just how hard they would
> become to get rid of and how much time they would suck up from people
> arguing about them.

I'm pretty sure we've spent more time arguing about them than it would
have taken to maintain them from now until 2030, and I don't really
understand why you're on the warpath to get rid of them. But I don't
really care about it enough to keep arguing now that I've realized
pgAdmin3 isn't going to work with PG 10 either way.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company