Re: libpq debug log

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Jamison, Kirk" <k(dot)jamison(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: "Iwata, Aya" <iwata(dot)aya(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, "Nagaura, Ryohei" <nagaura(dot)ryohei(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, Jacob Champion <pchampion(at)pivotal(dot)io>, Jim Doty <jdoty(at)pivotal(dot)io>, PostgreSQL mailing lists <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp" <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: libpq debug log
Date: 2019-02-20 03:55:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 10:06 PM Jamison, Kirk <k(dot)jamison(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:
> It sounds more logical to me if there is a parameter that switches on/off the logging
> similar to other postgres logs. I suggest trace_log as the parameter name.

I'm not really sure that I like the design of this patch in any way.
But leaving that aside, trace_log seems like a poor choice of name,
because it's got two words telling you what kind of thing we are doing
(tracing, logging) and zero words describing the nature of the thing
being traced or logged (the wire protocol communication with the
client). A tracing facility for the planner, or the executor, or any
other part of the system would have an equally good claim on the same
name. That can't be right.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company