Re: Materialized views WIP patch

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Materialized views WIP patch
Date: 2012-11-16 17:02:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 1:36 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
> Hmmm. I understand the distinction you're making here, but I'm not sure
> it actually matters to the user. MVs, by their nature, always have
> potentially stale data. Being empty (in an inaccurate way) is just one
> kind of stale data.

This is my feeling also.

> I don't see how this relates to UNLOGGED matviews either way.

Right now, Kevin has things set up so that when you do "TRUNCATE mv",
it clears the relisvalid flag. If we allowed unlogged materialized
views, the table would be automatically truncated on a crash, but
there wouldn't be any way to clear relisvalid in that situation, so
Kevin felt we should simply disable unlogged MVs. Personally, I'm not
excited about having a relisvalid flag at all, and doubly not excited
if it means we can't have unlogged MVs.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company