Re: More efficient truncation of pg_stat_activity query strings

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: More efficient truncation of pg_stat_activity query strings
Date: 2017-09-15 21:26:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 4:49 PM, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> On 2017-09-15 16:45:47 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> writes:
>> > Version correcting these is attached. Thanks!
>>
>> I'd vote for undoing the s/st_activity/st_activity_raw/g business.
>> That may have been useful while writing the patch, to ensure you
>> found all the references; but it's just creating a lot of unnecessary
>> delta in the final code, with the attendant hazards for back-patches.
>
> I was wondering about that too (see [1]). My only concern is that some
> extensions out there might be accessing the string expecting it to be
> properly truncated. The rename at least forces them to look for the new
> name... I'm slightly in favor of keeping the rename, it doesn't seem
> likely to cause a lot of backpatch pain.

I tend to agree with you, but it's not a huge deal either way. Even
if somebody fails to update third-party code that touches this, a lot
of times it'll work anyway. But that very fact is, of course, why it
would be slightly better to break it explicitly.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company