Re: POC: rational number type (fractions)

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Joe Nelson <joe(at)begriffs(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: POC: rational number type (fractions)
Date: 2020-05-21 17:40:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 6:15 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> There surely are use-cases for true rational arithmetic, but I'm
> dubious that it belongs in core Postgres. I don't think that enough
> of our users would want it to justify expending core-project maintenance
> effort on it. So I'd be happier to see this as an out-of-core extension.

As is often the case, I'm a little more positive about including this
than Tom, but as is also often the case, I'm somewhat cautious, too.
On the one hand, I think it would be cool to have and people would
like it. But, On the other hand, I also think we'd only want it if
we're convinced that it's a really good implementation and that
there's not a competing design which is better, or even equally good.
Those things don't seem too clear at this point, so I hope Jeff and
Joe keep chatting about it ... and maybe some other people who are
knowledgeable about this will chime in, too.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company