Re: UPDATE of partition key

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Khandekar <amitdkhan(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: UPDATE of partition key
Date: 2017-07-25 21:07:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 1:09 PM, Amit Khandekar <amitdkhan(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Attached is a WIP patch (make_resultrels_ordered.patch) that generates
> the result rels in canonical order. This patch is kept separate from
> the update-partition-key patch, and can be applied on master branch.

Hmm, I like the approach you've taken here in general, but I think it
needs cleanup.

+typedef struct ParentChild

This is a pretty generic name. Pick something more specific and informative.

+static List *append_rel_partition_oids(List *rel_list, Relation rel);

One could be forgiven for thinking that this function was just going
to append OIDs, but it actually appends ParentChild structures, so I
think the name needs work.

+List *append_rel_partition_oids(List *rel_list, Relation rel)

Style. Please pgindent your patches.

+#ifdef DEBUG_PRINT_OIDS
+ print_oids(*leaf_part_oids);
+#endif

I'd just rip out this debug stuff once you've got this working, but if
we keep it, it certainly can't have a name as generic as print_oids()
when it's actually doing something with a list of ParentChild
structures. Also, it prints names, not OIDs. And DEBUG_PRINT_OIDS is
no good for the same reasons.

+ if (RelationGetPartitionDesc(rel))
+ walker->rels_list = append_rel_partition_oids(walker->rels_list, rel);

Every place that calls append_rel_partition_oids guards that call with
if (RelationGetPartitionDesc(...)). It seems to me that it would be
simpler to remove those tests and instead just replace the
Assert(partdesc) inside that function with if (!partdesc) return;

Is there any real benefit in this "walker" interface? It looks to me
like it might be simpler to just change things around so that it
returns a list of OIDs, like find_all_inheritors, but generated
differently. Then if you want bound-ordering rather than
OID-ordering, you just do this:

list_free(inhOids);
inhOids = get_partition_oids_in_bound_order(rel);

That'd remove the need for some if/then logic as you've currently got
in get_next_child().

+ is_partitioned_resultrel =
+ (oldrelation->rd_rel->relkind == RELKIND_PARTITIONED_TABLE
+ && rti == parse->resultRelation);

I suspect this isn't correct for a table that contains wCTEs, because
there would in that case be multiple result relations.

I think we should always expand in bound order rather than only when
it's a result relation. I think for partition-wise join, we're going
to want to do it this way for all relations in the query, or at least
for all relations in the query that might possibly be able to
participate in a partition-wise join. If there are multiple cases
that are going to need this ordering, it's hard for me to accept the
idea that it's worth the complexity of trying to keep track of when we
expanded things in one order vs. another. There are other
applications of having things in bound order too, like MergeAppend ->
Append strength-reduction (which might not be legal anyway if there
are list partitions with multiple, non-contiguous list bounds or if
any NULL partition doesn't end up in the right place in the order, but
there will be lots of cases where it can work).

On another note, did you do anything about the suggestion Thomas made
in http://postgr.es/m/CAEepm=3sc_j1zwqDYrbU4DTfX5rHcaMNNuaXRKWZFgt9m23OcA@mail.gmail.com
?

--
Robert Haas