Re: Small patch: fix code duplication in heapam.c

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Aleksander Alekseev <a(dot)alekseev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Small patch: fix code duplication in heapam.c
Date: 2016-03-25 12:15:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 11:35 AM, Aleksander Alekseev
<a(dot)alekseev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:
> In the same time I'm deeply convinced that this patch will make code
> more readable at least because it makes code much shorter:

I think this is a waste of time. These functions are already very
short; making them shorter will not significantly improve readability.
It'll just force people who think they know what that code does to
look at it again to see if it still does the same thing.

Let's spend our time arguing about changes that matter. There are an
infinite number of things like this that you could tinker with, but
most of them are not worth tinkering with.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company