Re: generated columns

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: generated columns
Date: 2017-09-14 00:15:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 10:04 PM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> I think an option to decide whether the default is STORED or VIRTUAL
> would be useful.

That seems like it could be a bit of a foot-gun. For example, an
extension author who uses generated columns will have to be careful to
always specify one or the other, because they don't know what the
default will be on the system where it's deployed. Similarly for an
author of a portable application. I think it'll create fewer
headaches if we just pick a default and stick with it.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company