Re: [POC] A better way to expand hash indexes.

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Mithun Cy <mithun(dot)cy(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [POC] A better way to expand hash indexes.
Date: 2017-03-30 13:53:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 1:13 AM, Mithun Cy <mithun(dot)cy(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> B. In tuple sort we can use hash function bucket = hash_key %
> num_buckets instead of existing one which does bitwise "and" to
> determine the bucket of hash key. This way we will not wrongly assign
> buckets beyond max_buckets and sorted hash keys will be in sync with
> actual insertion order of _hash_doinsert.

I think approach B is incorrect. Suppose we have 1536 buckets and
hash values 2048, 2049, 4096, 4097, 6144, 6145, 8192, and 8193. If I
understand correctly, each of these values should be mapped either to
bucket 0 or to bucket 1, and the goal of the sort is to put all of the
bucket 0 tuples before all of the bucket 1 tuples, so that we get
physical locality when inserting. With approach A, the sort keys will
match the bucket numbers -- we'll be sorting the list 0, 1, 0, 1, 0,
1, 0, 1 -- and we will end up doing all of the inserts to bucket 0
before any of the inserts to bucket 1. With approach B, we'll be
sorting 512, 513, 1024, 1025, 0, 1, 512, 513 and will end up
alternating inserts to bucket 0 with inserts to bucket 1.

To put that another way, see this comment at the top of hashsort.c:

* When building a very large hash index, we pre-sort the tuples by bucket
* number to improve locality of access to the index, and thereby avoid
* thrashing. We use tuplesort.c to sort the given index tuples into order.

So, you can't just decide to sort on a random number, which is what
approach B effectively does. Or, you can, but it completely misses
the point of sorting in the first place.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company