Re: factorial function/phase out postfix operators?

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Vik Fearing <vik(at)postgresfriends(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: factorial function/phase out postfix operators?
Date: 2020-08-27 13:50:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 7:12 AM John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> Well, for starters it'll say the obvious, but since we have a concrete
> timeframe, maybe a <note> tag to make it more visible, like in the
> attached, compressed to avoid confusing the cfbot.

Yeah, that looks like a good spot. I think we should also add
something to the documentation of the factorial operator, mentioning
that it will be going away. Perhaps we can advise people to write !!3
instead of 3! for forward-compatibility, or maybe we should instead
suggest numeric_fac(3).

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company