Re: [v9.3] OAT_POST_ALTER object access hooks

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PgHacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [v9.3] OAT_POST_ALTER object access hooks
Date: 2012-12-03 14:03:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 8:43 AM, Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp> wrote:
> I'd like to have catalog/objectaccess.c to wrap-up invocation of hooks, rather
> than doing all the stuffs with macros. It allows to use local variables, unlike
> macros; that has a risk of naming conflict with temporary variable for
> ObjectAccessPostCreate.
>
> So, how about to have a following definition for example?
>
> void
> InvokePostAlterHookArgs(Oid classId, Oid objectId, int subId,
> Oid auxiliaryId, bool is_internal)
> {
> if (object_access_hook)
> {
> ObjectAccessPostAlter pa_arg;
>
> memset(&pa_arg, 0, sizeof(ObjectAccessPostAlter));
> pa_arg.auxiliary_id = auxiliary_id;
> pa_arg.is_internal = is_internal;
> (*object_access_hook)(OAT_POST_ALTER,
> classId, objectId, subId,
> (void *) &pa_arg);
> }
> }
>
> and
>
> #define InvokePostAlterHook(classId, objectId, subId) \
> InvokePostAlterHookArgs(classId, objectId, subId, InvalidOid, false)
>
> for most points to call.

This has the disadvantage of incurring the overhead of a function call
even if (as will typically be the case) there is no object access
hook. I still prefer having the if (object_access_hook) test in the
macro, though of course I have no problem with having the macro call
a function if it's set.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company