Re: [HACKERS] ginInsertCleanup called from vacuum could still miss tuples to be deleted

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] ginInsertCleanup called from vacuum could still miss tuples to be deleted
Date: 2017-11-16 20:29:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 7:08 AM, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Agreed, that's better. Attached updated patch.
> Also I've added this to the next CF so as not to forget.

Committed and back-patched. While I'm fairly sure this is a correct
fix, post-commit review from someone who knows GIN better than I do
would be a great idea.

I am also clear on what the consequences of this bug are. It seems
like it could harm insert performance by making us wait when we
shouldn't, but can it cause corruption? That I'm not sure about. If
there's already a cleanup of the pending list in progress, how do
things go wrong?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company