Re: multithreaded zstd backup compression for client and server

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org>
Cc: Dipesh Pandit <dipesh(dot)pandit(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: multithreaded zstd backup compression for client and server
Date: 2022-03-28 16:37:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 9:19 AM Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker
<ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org> wrote:
> Per the TAP protocol, every line of non-test-result output should be
> prefixed by "# ". The note() function does this for you, see
> https://metacpan.org/pod/Test::More#Diagnostics for details.

True, but that also means it shows up in the actual failure message,
which seems too verbose. By just using 'print', it ends up in the log
file if it's needed, but not anywhere else. Maybe there's a better way
to do this, but I don't think using note() is what I want.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com