Re: factorial function/phase out postfix operators?

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: factorial function/phase out postfix operators?
Date: 2020-05-19 12:27:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 10:42 AM Peter Eisentraut
<peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> What are the thoughts about then marking the postfix operator deprecated
> and eventually removing it?

I wrote a little bit about this last year:

http://postgr.es/m/CA+TgmoarLfSQcLCh7jx0737SZ28qwbuy+rUWT6rSHAO=B-6xdw@mail.gmail.com

I think it's generally a good idea, though perhaps we should consider
continuing to allow '!' as a postfix operator and just removing
support for any other. That would probably allow us to have a very
short deprecation period, since real-world use of user-defined postfix
operators seems to be nil -- and it would also make this into a change
that only affects the lexer and parser, which might make it simpler.

I won't lose a lot of sleep if we decide to rip out '!' as well, but I
don't think that continuing to support it would cost us much.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company