Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Allow background workers to be started dynamically.

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Allow background workers to be started dynamically.
Date: 2013-07-22 19:16:43
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 12:39 AM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> I don't have a problem with getting rid of those, it's easy enough to
>> register them inside the worker and it's safe since we start with
>> blocked signals. I seem to remember some discussion about why they were
>> added but I can't find a reference anymore. Alvaro, do you remember?
>
> I left them there because it was easy; but they were absolutely
> necessary only until we decided that we would start the worker's main
> function with signals blocked. I don't think there's any serious reason
> not to remove them now.

All right, done. FWIW, I think starting the worker's main with
signals blocked was definitely the right decision.

I think we have consensus to back-patch the other API changes as well.
I'll work up a patch for that.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company