Re: [HACKERS] [POC] Faster processing at Gather node

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Rafia Sabih <rafia(dot)sabih(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] [POC] Faster processing at Gather node
Date: 2017-12-04 15:50:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Dec 3, 2017 at 10:30 PM, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I thought there are some cases (though less) where we want to Shutdown
> the nodes (ExecShutdownNode) earlier and release the resources sooner.
> However, if you are not completely sure about this change, then we can
> leave it as it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

OK, thanks. I committed that patch, after first running 100 million
tuples through a Gather over and over again to test for leaks.
Hopefully I haven't missed anything here, but it looks like it's
solid. Here once again are the remaining patches. While the
already-committed patches are nice, these two are the ones that
actually produced big improvements in my testing, so it would be good
to move them along. Any reviews appreciated.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-shm-mq-less-spinlocks-v2.patch application/octet-stream 13.6 KB
0002-shm-mq-reduce-receiver-latch-set-v1.patch application/octet-stream 7.5 KB