Re: Rethinking the parameter access hooks for plpgsql's benefit

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Rethinking the parameter access hooks for plpgsql's benefit
Date: 2015-03-17 17:13:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 12:47 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> Sorry to be coming late to this thread. I don't think the problem is
> that Tom is working on these patches. Rather, I think since Tom's
> employer now cares more about his current work, Tom just isn't as
> available to help with commitfest stuff and patch application.
>
> It is hard to see how the community can complain about that --- it is
> like having an uncle who used to give you $20 every time you saw him,
> then suddenly stops. You would certainly be disappointed, but it is
> hard to see how you have a right to complain. Now, if Tom's work was
> interrupting others' work, then there is a reasonable complaint.
>
> As a contrast, as someone who almost never applies things from the
> commitfest, I would be even more open to criticism. I spend my spare
> time closing out unaddressed emails, but again, I have decided that is
> the best use of my time, and I didn't ask anyone if they agreed. My
> assumption has always been that if activity is positive, it is up to the
> individual to decide which efforts to pursue. My employer could adjust
> my activity too.
>
> I think the larger issue is that we have to adjust to a new-normal where
> Tom isn't going to be as helpful in this area. Do we need more
> committers? Do we need to adjust the process or dates? These are
> probably the questions we should be addressing.

I was NOT complaining about Tom spending less time on PostgreSQL
CommitFests. I would like him to spend more, but that's his decision,
in conjunction with his employer. I would like to spend more time on
PostgreSQL CommitFests myself, but I have trouble finding the time,
too.

What I was complaining about is new feature patches for 9.5 arriving
after the start of the last CF. There has to be some date after which
a patch is too late to be considered for a given release, or we will
never ship a release. We can argue about what that date is, and it
can be different for different people if we so choose, but at the end
of the day, you have to cut it off someplace, or you never get the
release out.

I think these are really two different problems.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company