Re: Allow CLUSTER, VACUUM FULL and REINDEX to change tablespace on the fly

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alexey Kondratov <a(dot)kondratov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Allow CLUSTER, VACUUM FULL and REINDEX to change tablespace on the fly
Date: 2018-12-26 18:09:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Dec 24, 2018 at 6:08 AM Alexey Kondratov
<a(dot)kondratov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:
> I would like to propose a change, which allow CLUSTER, VACUUM FULL and
> REINDEX to modify relation tablespace on the fly.

ALTER TABLE already has a lot of logic that is oriented towards being
able to do multiple things at the same time. If we added CLUSTER,
VACUUM FULL, and REINDEX to that set, then you could, say, change a
data type, cluster, and change tablespaces all in a single SQL
command.

That would be cool, but probably a lot of work. :-(

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company