Re: Granting SET and ALTER SYSTE privileges for GUCs

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Joshua Brindle <joshua(dot)brindle(at)crunchydata(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Joe Conway <joe(at)crunchydata(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Granting SET and ALTER SYSTE privileges for GUCs
Date: 2022-03-17 16:29:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 12:19 PM Mark Dilger
<mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> Joshua helped test the DAC portion of this patch, and answered a number of my questions on the topic, including in-person back in December. I take your point, Robert, on the general principle, but the archives should reflect that Joshua did contribute to this specific patch.

I wasn't intending to say otherwise, and if the changes needed for DAC
here are straightforward and don't make the patch significantly harder
to finish, then I would say Tom is wrong and we should just go ahead
and make them. But if they do, then I think it's perfectly fine to say
that we're going to leave that alone and let someone with
subject-matter expertise sort it out when they have time. We do that
all the time with other things, most notably MSVC builds, where we
just can't expect every hacker or even every committer to understand
exactly what's required to make it all work. I try my best to commit
things that don't break it, but sometimes I do, and then Andrew helps
sort it out, because he understands it and I don't. I think DAC should
fall into that kind of category as well.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com