Re: initdb -S and tablespaces

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: initdb -S and tablespaces
Date: 2015-04-30 22:20:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 6:18 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> Also, it seems awfully unfortunate to me that we're duplicating a
>> whole pile of code into xlog.c here. Maybe there's no way to avoid
>> the code duplication, but pre_sync_fname() seems like it'd more
>> naturally go in fd.c than here. I dunno where walkdir should go, but
>> again, not in xlog.c.
>
> Hm, there's an interest in backpatching this as a bugfix, if I
> understand correctly; hence the duplicated code. We could remove the
> duplicity later with a refactoring patch in master only.

That seems pretty silly. If we going to add pre_sync_fname() to every
branch, we should add it to the same (correct) file in all of them,
not put it in xlog.c in the back-branches and fd.c in master.

> However, now that you mention a pg_control flag, it becomes evident to
> me that a change to pg_control cannot be back-patched ...

Indeed. But I think we can solve that problem by just ripping that
part out. Unless I'm missing something, it's not really doing
anything useful.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company