Re: JSON output from psql

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Gurjeet Singh <gurjeet(at)singh(dot)im>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Postgres Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: JSON output from psql
Date: 2020-05-13 19:50:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 4:42 PM Gurjeet Singh <gurjeet(at)singh(dot)im> wrote:
> That's a good point! It might still be desirable, perhaps for performance trade-off of JSON conversion on the client-side instead of on the server-side.

If there's a performance problem with the server's code here, we
should probably try to fix it, instead of adding the same feature on
the client side.

But also, we shouldn't start by deciding we need feature X and then
looking for the reason why we need it.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company