Re: Freeze avoidance of very large table.

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Greg S <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Freeze avoidance of very large table.
Date: 2016-03-11 17:37:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 10:47 PM, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Thanks. I adopted some of your suggested, rejected others, fixed a
>> few minor things that I missed previously, and committed this. If you
>> think any of the changes that I rejected still have merit, please
>> resubmit those changes as separate patches.
>
> Thank you for your effort to this feature and committing it.
> I guess that I couldn't do good work to this feature at final stage,
> but I really appreciate all your advice and suggestion.

Don't feel bad, you put a lot of work on this, and if you were getting
a little tired towards the end, that's very understandable. This
extremely important feature was largely driven by you, and that's a
big accomplishment.

> I got your point.
> Attached latest patch can skip to write the last part of last old page
> if it's empty.
> Please review it.

Committed.

Which I think just about brings us to the end of this epic journey,
except for any cleanup of what's already been committed that needs to
be done. Thanks so much for your hard work!

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company