Re: pg_basebackup fails with long tablespace paths

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Oskari Saarenmaa <os(at)ohmu(dot)fi>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_basebackup fails with long tablespace paths
Date: 2015-01-07 20:19:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 4:33 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> Currently, when you unpack a tarred basebackup with tablespaces, the
> symlinks will tell you whether you have unpacked the tablespace tars at
> the right place. Otherwise, how do you know? Secondly, you also have
> the option of putting the tablespaces somewhere else by changing the
> symlinks.

That's a good argument for making the tablespace-map file
human-readable and human-editable, but I don't think it's an argument
for duplicating its contents inaccurately in the filesystem.

> One way to address this would be to do away with the symlinks altogether
> and have pg_tblspc/12345 be a text file that contains the tablespace
> location. Kind of symlinks implemented in user space.

Well, that's just spreading the tablespace-map file out into several
files, and maybe keeping it around after we've restored from backup.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company