Re: Action requested - Application Softblock implemented | Issue report ID341057

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Seiko Ishida (MP Tech Consulting LLC)" <v-seishi(at)microsoft(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, ISV Readiness W8 bugs <ISVRW8(at)microsoft(dot)com>, Manmeet Bawa <manmeetb(at)microsoft(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Action requested - Application Softblock implemented | Issue report ID341057
Date: 2011-10-05 14:04:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 9:43 AM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 2:40 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 2:27 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

>>> Version 8.2 is quite old, and the community support for it will end in
>>> December. I don't think anyone cares if it works on Windows 8. If you could
>>> test with PostgreSQL 9.1, that would be great.
>>
>> On the other hand, it seems as though they've identified the offending
>> code, so maybe it wouldn't be that much work to fix:
>
> This is in the old 8.2 MSI installer, which doesn't even support
> Windows 7 (and would require more work than just this to do so). The
> last ever release of 8.2 will happen long before Windows 8 is going to
> go GA - it's safe to say this version is never going to be supported
> on Windows 8.

That seems strange, since the MSFT guy is reporting that whatever he
tested did work on Windows 7, but now that you've pointed out that
Windows 8 won't be released until after we stop supporting 8.2, I am
filled with uncaring.

Perhaps if the MSFT guys want a link to direct people to, we could
suggest http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_Release_Support_Policy

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company